Ye Old Black Horse Continued
Henry the Tanner of Stanley, Adam the joiner of Stanley, and Henry Gaugy had unjustly and by force dispossessed the Abbot of the Dale of his common pasture in West Hallam, which belongs to his freehold in Stanley. As a result of that inquiry, Ralph and all the others are in mercy and are fined.
The ancient lineage of Mapperley thus briefly indicated show the importance of the village in the spacious days when agriculture was the dominating factor in English industry. In harmony with the venerable history of the township, the hostelry of "Ye Old Black Horse" furnishes a modern specimen of the old English type of stucco buildings, for the front of the Inn has been recently renovated by Mr. John Durow, of Marlpool, and now presents an interesting facade with its wooden lines and angles which set off the stucco. A sick club has been, held at the "Black Horse'' for 110 years, a sign of the thrifty character of the villagers. Inside the house are numerous curios. There is a fine old oil painting which came from Ruddington Hall, the subject portrayed by the artist being "Neptune and the Nymphs” There is an interesting "Scene before Gilraltaer on the morning of the 14th September, 1785". Monster tooth found at the bottom of the sea of a giant Mastodon, rests cheek by jowl with a glutton perch caught in the act of swallowing the small perch. Bead work from New Zealand, curios from Africa, old engravings of Nottingham, 1831, or district, and many other interesting objects are open to inspection. Mr. John Beer, who has lived in Mapperley 55 years, and has been the tenant of "Ye Old Black Horse" for eight years, and has the happy qualification of collecting. His friends and acquaintances appreciating his hobby or fad, as some uninterested individuals would term such a gathering of valuable odds and ends. Prior to becoming a licensed victualler, he was engaged for 13 years on the Shipley estate. Now he has greater facilities for cultivating another hobby, that is gardening. He has several glass houses, in which may be found many varieties of blooms. Maidenhair ferns are a speciality and of fine quality. Japanese ferns assume quaint and fantastic designs — here a swan, there a cross. Mr. Beer's fernery is supposed to contain the best collection of ferns in Derbyshire and Nottingham. Tomato houses, Vinery,' etc., provide an abundance of work for his spare hours. An aviary has also been started, and Mrs. E. Miller Mundy has promised a Continental contribution, to the anticipated collection. Gardens with daintily laid out beds are in close proximity to the conservatories. Permission is willingly given to visitors who desire to inspect the "floral" departments, for "mine host" does not believe in cultivating personal selfishness. The Squire and Mrs. Mundy often pay a visit to the glass houses and John frequently receives a pretty compliment on his vieing with the glass houses in the Hall grounds.
Then turning to the social side of entertainment, no sing-song is permitted to take place at "Ye Old Black Horse,' but a polyphon will play the latest Operatic melody, Coon Song, or Cake Walk, and for picnicking parties with musical members there is the piano at their services. Cricket is an important feature in the characteristics of the villagers. The Squire is a keen lover of sport, and he has supported the Mapperley Club in a handsome spirit. Thanks to Mr. Mundy, the village has a splendid Cricket ground and Pavilion, picturesquely situated. He gave £100, the ground and other incidentals. The total cost of erecting the Pavilion has now been cleared off with the exception of a dozen pounds. The Vicar, the Rev. C.H. Lane is also keen on Cricket and generally takes his part in the village matches. Mr. John Beer displayed no small degree of energy in bringing the pavilion ground scheme to a successful issue. His cogent appeals for the sport fell on sympathetic ears, and he feels, in conjunction with his colleagues, just proud of the results of the solicitations on behalf of the M.C.C. "Ye Old Black Horse" is within a stones throw of the Cricket Ground. Visitors do find and will find that host and hostess can cater in every branch and form. The ancient inn property, with about half a dozen cottages is the only part of this model village which does not belong to Squire Mundy.
It is a common phase in the village that Mapperley had the Electric Light before Ilkeston laid down its installation. The foreman of Messrs. Dick, Kerr, in the course of constructing Ilkeston Tramways, casually visited "YE Old Black Horse", where he was surprised to find a five-candle power Electric Light, and would not at first believe that Mr. Beer made the current on the premises, the foreman imagining that the power either came from the Hall or from the Colliery. When he discovered the facts he jocosely remarked "I'll have my letters addressed here, to Mapperley, near Ilkeston.
In 1896 old lady Harvey died at the age of 100 years, she had often complained that she was sadly afraid she would not be able to rear her youngest son, who lived to be 30 years of age. She used to drive a pair of grey donkeys. Her husband was in the habit of telling his customers not to stop the donkeys, otherwise they would not start again. Ilkeston residents as well as the surrounding villagers, will no doubt call to mind the itinerant vendors of sandstones, crockery, and miscellaneous commodities.
With regard to the ancient structure once utilised as a church, and now used as dwellings, the present Sexton (Mr. W. Thornley) of the Parish Church of Mapperley, for many years lived in the ancient consecrated building in which the chancel rails may still be seen. The walls of the old Church are two foot six inches in thickness, and massive oak beams are conspicuous. When the present occupant of the house Luke Burrows (a son in law of the old lady just referred to) terminates his tenancy it is expected that the old Church will be "thoroughly restored.
The Rev. L. Mellor (formerly Vicar of Mapperley) and Mrs. Mellor still manifest interest in the scenes, of their former labours, and any good object always receives a sympathetic response.
A singular coincidence in connection with the "New Church" is that Samuel Mee, who got the first stone out of the district for the Church, was the first person to be interred in the new Church Yard, Mee having met with an accident which proved fatal.
The Hawleys and the Harvey's are the oldest families in the village.
Mr. Beer's parents were of Ilkestonian origin. His grandfather was born at the Manor House, and his father who died recently at the age of 78 years was born in Beer's Lane, now known, as Ash Street, Cotmanhay.
He was a keen sportsman, fishing, hunting, and with dogs. The host of "Ye Old Black Horse" has a fine replica of a daguerreotype of his great grandmother, taken with her distaff and spinning wheel. Lord Harrington has offered 100 guineas for the original daguerreotype, but the son declines to part with the doubly valuable photograph. The great grandmother spun sheets until she was ninety years of age. Many years after her death some of those were sold for a big price.
In connection with the history of Mapperley, the Sexton, Mr. W Wheatley has supplied the contributor of this sketch, with the following—
"At the Doomsday Survey, William Conqueror was King of England. William de Peverel held Mapperley for the King in 1084. Peverel lived at a mansion in a wood at Mapperley. There was a moat all round the house, and traces of the moat may be observed today, The mansion was destroyed, and a park, stocked with deer, was provided for the King. Richard de Sandiacre held the Manor at Mapperley in 1235, the village at that time being in a flourishing condition. A market was held every Monday, and at the festival of Holy Trinity there was a Fair, which continued to be held up to forty years ago, the pool where the cattle were watered being still in existence.
The old Church on which may be observed remnants of carved figures was utilised for a dwelling house after Richard's death. His successors to the Manor were Simon de Arden, Thomas de Lucke, and Sir Richard Willouhby, the latter securing the estate by his marriage with the heiress of the Morteyne family. Then the Gilberts held Mapperley Park of Locko. The Coopers succeeded and finally the Manor came into the hands of its present owner, Mr. E.M. Mundy. In 1691, Sir Anthony of Strelley seized part of Mapperley, where he lived in a hamlet Park Hall, situate about half a mile west of the village. In 1446, Robert Mundy represented Derby in Parliament. One of his ancestors purchased Shipley and part of Mapperley from the Strelley family. In 1538 the Powtrells were of Catholic Faith, and they underwent persecution. In times of stress they fled to Mapperley Church, where they sought refuge. Abbot John Scardsgill in 1662 gave an endowment of £540 for the education of twelve poor children in various parishes, including Mapperley. The Trustees purchased land and property at Gresley, and the income now provides education and clothing for thirteen children. The Vicar and Churchwarden J. Fletcher, are the trustees of Mapperley."
Part of this extract is taken from "The Remote Ages of Antiquity to the year of our Lord, MDCCXDCI," illustrated by W. Button, F.A.S.S.