Joining of the Morteyn and Strelley Lands
In 1547, the former Morteyn lands "lying in the Lordship of Park Hall and Mapperley" were exchanged by Francis, Earl of Shrewsbury, for lands in "within the town and fields of Sheffield" held by Sir Nicholas Strelley. Thus, the Morteyn and Strelley lands were merged.
A survey of the Desmesne lands of Parke Hall, then owned by Sir Anthony Strelley but in the use of his son, Mr. Philip Strelley, was conducted in about 1590. Items listed for Parke Hall included the Manor House with a court, orchard and garden (value 40 shillings), the Great House (value £13.6.8d), 17 fields and one cottage house with two crofts. Rents were received from properties in Mapperley: being the Head Houses, Alexander Eaton, Irelande house, Smith's house, Black's house, Widow Massey, George Wheatley, the Chappell and Chappell Yarde, and four closes. Other closes giving rents were Mapperley Parke and three Simon Fields.
The Great Hatchmore, held by William Arigreave and called Angreaves Close in the 159O's rent list, had been given to Philip Strelley by Sir Henry Sacheverell in exchange far certain Shipley lands.
The Mapperley Family Holding
In the year 1382, a man named Thomas del Holt. (of Mapper ley) was a. Bailiff of the City of Nottingham. Then, between the years 1395 arid 1413, a Thomas Mapperley is recorded as one of Burgesses of Nottingham and later, in 1477, John Mapully, was a Burgess. The Mapperley family were a wealthy merchant family in Nottingham, dealing in wool or staple, with a house on the south side of St. Mary's Church. The family, however, would seem to have originated in the Derbyshire village of Mapperley as, in 1507-8, John Mapperley (Mappurley, Mapurley, Maperley), of Bulwe11, Notts., sold three lots of land in Mapperley, county Derby. The first was 60 acres of land known as Crowmore Closes and Wylk Ryddyng, sold for £2O to Sir Henry Willoughby of Wollaton. 'The second was two ox gangs of land, also to Sir Henry Willoughby, for £6/6/8d, arid the third was one close called Burton Close and two oxgangs of land to Sir Edward Stanhope.
In the mid-150Os, the land owned by the Willoughbys of Wollaton was variously leased out by Hugh Willoughby. Hugh, later Sir Hugh "the Navigator" who died trying to find the north-west passage, was a younger son of Sir Henry and was married to Jane Strelley, daughter of Sir Nicholas Strelley (the nephew and inheritor of the title of the earlier mentioned John Strelley).
The part of it known as "a messuage called Headhouses" was leased to Henry Wodde of Cossall, Notts., with his wife Sanchia and daughter Anne, in 1541. The lease was for life for the sum of £7. Henry Wood "of Maperley, husbandman" was a witness in a court case of 1585 on behalf of the Willoughby family. Another witness in the case was Alexander Heaton "of Maperley, gentleman, of 70 yeres or thereabouts", who appears (as Alexander Eaton) also in the Strelley rent list of that era.
In 1551-52, Sir Hugh gave 21 year leases to other parts to Richard Paler, youngest son of Richard Paler, who was already occupying the messuage and lands, for £3/6/8dj and to Robert Gregory of Mapperley and Elizabeth, his wife, this being at the end of a lease to Edmund Fideler and his wife.
The Stanhope family, who were contemporary residents of Nottingham with the Willoughbys of Wollaton and the Strelleys, held their land in Mapperley until well into the seventeenth century.
At the north-west corner of Mapperley Parish lies, or rather used to lie before the modern open-cast mining, the farm known as Cotgreave. Anciently, the names Cotegrave and Cotgrave also were used.
The earliest appearance of the name was when, in 1156, Havise de Cotgrave was excused payment of a rent to the King of 6 shillings and six pence. Next, in 1185, Roger, son of William, de Cotgrave was named as entering a new plea in the Pipe Roll. It may be that this man, Roger, fell foul of the authorities as the Pipe Roll for 1222 relates that Roger de Mapley was a fugitive.
In 1225, Hugh de Strelley registered a Plea of the Forest for land in Cotgrave but the next year he was sued by Robert son of Geoffrey and Robert son of Robert. The latter men seem likely to have been members of the Ingram family. Then in 1232 the Pipe Roll lists Ralph son of Ralph de Cotegrave.
The actual ownership of the farm then may have passed to the Briwer family, as in 1269 Geoffrey de Briwer and his wife Avice granted 'Cotegrave' to John de Grey, holder of the Lordship of Codnor; its value was a rent of 1O shillings with appurtenances. The de Grey -family continued to hold land in Kirk Hallam, quite probably actually the lan in Mapperley, at least until 1431. This junior branch of the de Grey's' was resident, at Sandiacre (William de Grey having bought that Manor from John of Sandiacre around 1260) and successive recorded members were; Richard de Grey in 1302, William de Grey in 1346, and John de Grey (or rather his widow Emma Grey of Landeford in Notts.) in 1431.
The farm seems to have been rented out as; first, in 1299, Henry de Catgrave and Alice his wife (one of the daughters and heirs of Wiverton) appear in the Pipe Roll; and then, in 1311, a person named Warchin de Cotgrave is recorded as the guardian for a couple holding land in Littelhalum.
At some point, Cotgreave, or at least part of it, was in the hands of the Sacheverell family of Kidsley in Smalley. In the reign of Elizabeth I (1558—16O3) Sir Henry Sacheverell complained in Chancery that he had given a close called Great Hatchmore in the lordship of Mapperley to Sir Philip Strelley, under an agreement transferring land in Shipley to the Kidsley estate.
Darley Abbey Lands
Early in the 13th Century, Darley Abbey was bequeathed a rent of 3 shillings and 11 pence annually at Mapperley by a Master Henry of Derby. His nephew, William de Aula, son of Peter of Derby, confirmed this rent which came from 4O acres and 7 roods of land. The rent was to be paid "by those who hold the said land". Master Henry was a member of a large family descended from a couple known as Walkelin and Goda of Derby. Walkelin was known also as "the moneyer" and he operated a mint in Derby for King Stephen and perhaps for Stephen's successor, Henry II. Goda is recorded as having bought land in Derby, which she then gave to Darley Abbey, from Peter of Sandiacre. Perhaps, Master Henry's land was an inheritance from a similar purchase by Goda from Peter of Sandiacre.
In his history of Derbyshire, Woolley recorded Darley as holding land in Mapperley and Smalley, the Parish immediately to the north-west, in the reign of Edward IV (1461-83). After the dissolution of the monasteries, the Darley lands in Smalley and some of those in Mapperley were acquired, from the King, by the Paget family in 1546. They sold it in 1570 to Dr. Christopher Johnson. After his death, his executors sold it to Thomas Ashton, who, in turn, sold it to the Richardson family of Smalley, in 161O. The other lands in Mapperley seem to have been acquired by the Poutrell family of West Hallam (see below).
During the 13th century, Dale Abbey was granted two bovates of land (around 3O acres) with assarts (woodland clearings) in Mapperley by William of Stanley. This had been granted to William by his brother Godfrey, having previously been the inheritance of their mother Matilda.
The earlier land grant included two roods in "Wetelarid versus Maperlegh". The canons of Dale leased the land to Robert de Lameleg' (possibly Lambley, in Nottinghamshire, of the Honour of Peverel) and his wife, Isabella, but, some time between 1268 and 1273, she gave up the lease, reporting that she had lost the charter of enfeoffment in time of war (the Barons' Wars).
Some of the land was granted, by Laurence Teveray abbot of Dale (1273-89), to William son of Richard of Smalley. This land, called "le Hay", consisted of 3 acres and 3 roods for an annual rent of sixpence. It is described as lying between the lands of Brictmarus le Sopare of Smalley on one side arid Richard Rachel of Stanley on the other side and extending from the road which led from Shipley to Derby to the "Huttefalsikede Smalleye" (a sike or sick was the word for a stream so this must have been the stream between Mapperley and Shipley). Qne of the witnesses to this land grant was Lord Richard de Grey of Codnor.
A copy of the above deed was in the Middleton family deeds of 1799, whose ancestors were the Willoughby family. According to Woolley, the canons leased all their land to Sir Richard Willoughby of Risley before 1363. The Charter Rolls for 1327 record that Richard (Ricus) de Willoughby was granted free warren in Willoughby, Wollaton, Cossall and Ruddington (Notts.) and Risley, Alvaston, Engleby and Mapperley (Derbys). This was confirmed in 1331 by a Quo Warranto court. Sir Richard had acquired Risley by marrying Isabella de Morteyn.
The Willoughbys of Risley, as sitting tenants of the Abbey, were allowed to purchase the land after the dissolution of the monastery in 1538. This branch of the Willoughby family died out in 1605 but the Mapperley land passed to the main branch, then holders of Wollaton in Nottingham.
Other Recorded Landholders
Summary at 1596
A.' The Strelley lands, all of Park Hall and Mapperley manors, had come into the hands of the Strelley family after the 1547 agreement but land division, following the death of John Strelley with four heiresses, in 15O1, meant that parcels of land were in the hands of different members of the family. Sir Nicholas Strelley, who featured in the 1547 agreement, actually held little of the original vast Strelley family estates. Strelley, together with parts of Shipley and Mapperley, was most of what he had inherited or reacquired from the vast estates that, his uncle John had held.
B. Cotgreave is owned by Dr. Johnson, together with some of the former Darley Abbey fields. The other Darley Abbey fields were divided between the Poutrell family and the Strelley family.
C. The former Dale Abbey lands are held by the Willoughby family of Risley.
D. The Willoughby family of Wollaton, Nottinghamshire, held part of the eastern end of the township. This was the Headhouses.
E. The Stanhope family held land at the western end of the township.