Drop-Down Navigation Menu
I thought this extract from Bulmer's History, Topography and Directory could be of interest - Phil Wyles
Mapperley, from Bulmer's History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire, 1895.
Mapperley is a small parish and township, containing 981 acres, in the hundred of Appletree, electoral division of Sandiacre, petty sessional division of Smalley, union and county court district of Belper, and Deanery of Ilkeston. It is under the jurisdiction of a parish council of six members, and it elects one guardian and rural district councillor. The total extent of land under assessment is 940 acres, rateable value £3,234, and the population, in 1891, was 531. A. M. Mundy, Esq., is lord of the manor; and that gentleman, F. A. Newdigate, Esq., and W. D. N. Drury-Lowe, Esq., are the principal landowners.
In the reign of Edward the Confessor, the manor of Maperlie belonged to one Staplevine, but William the Norman ousted the English owner and took possession of his lands. At the time of the Domesday Survey (circa 1086). William Peverel held the manor for the King, and in 1235 it was in like manner held by Richard Sandiacre by the service of providing a dog kennel. In 1266 a weekly market on Mondays, and a fair at the festival of the Holy Trinity, were granted to Simon de Arden, in which he was succeeded by Thomas de Luche. Subsequently the manor passed by marriage to the Willoughbys; and it afterwards belonged to the Gilberts of Locko. The Strelleys had a mansion and an estate here; and as early as the middle of the 13th century, episcopal sanction was given to Hugh de Strelley and Matilda, his wife, to establish a chapel within the grounds of their mansion at Mapperley. The permission to attend mass here was confined exclusively to the family and household of Hugh and Matilda, and neither could any marriage service be performed therein. A few traces of this old chapel may be seen built into the wall of a house near the church.
The village, which is small and chiefly inhabited by colliers, is situated two miles N.W. from Ilkeston, and 7 ½ North East. from Derby. A chapel-of-ease, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected here in 1851, at a cost of £760. It is a plain building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, porch, and turret containing five bells. In 1870, Mapperley was separated from Kirk Hallam and formed into an ecclesiastical parish. There are 200 sittings and all are free. The living is a vicarage worth £130, with residence, in the gift of E. A. Newdigate, Esq., and held by the Rev. John Mello, M.A. In connection with the church is a good day school, attended by about 180 children. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in the village, built, in 1874, to accommodate 150.
Park Hall is a small hamlet a little North West of the village. Here was the mansion of the Strelleys, but not a vestiage of the building now remains.
Mapperley is one of the parishes entitled to benefit in the Free School of West Hallam, founded by the Rev. John Scargill.
Letters, via Derby arrive between 6:00 and 8:00 a.m., and are despatched between 7:00 and 8:00 p.m., week days only; Mrs. Keziah Hart, sub-postmistress. Postal Orders issued but not cashed.
Parish Councillors—Rev. John Magens Mello, M.A.., chairman; William Else, James Durow, Albert Pounder, John Fletcher, Humphrey Hartshorn, Charles Thornley. Clerk, A. Pitt.
Rural District Councillor—Rev. J. M. Mello.
Beer Henry, miner
Burkin Joseph, grocer
Burrows Samuel, saddler and leather cutter, branch from Heanor, R.S.O.
Cooke Joseph, woodman, The Lodge
Downing Mrs. Emma, schoolmistress
Durow James, miner
Harvey John, shopkeeper
Hawley John, parish clerk
Mapperley Colliery Co., Geo. Checkland, mgr.
Mello Rev. John Magins, M.A., F.G-.S., &o., Vicarage
Pounder Albert, clerk, The Lodge
Durow Uriah (cowkeeper)
Fletcher John, Head house
Ford John, Park hall
Harvey Joseph (and viot.), Royal Oak Inn
Harvey Samuel (and viet,), Black Horse Inn
Pounders John (Exors.), Mapperley farm
Walker John, Cotgrave farm
I thought this extract from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire 1941 could be of interest - Phil Wyles
A copy of the entry, for Mapperley, from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire 1941
MAPPERLEY is a parish 2 ½ miles north-west from Ilkeston station on the London and North Eastern railway, and 7 north-east from Derby, in the Belper division of the county, hundred of Appletree, petty sessional division of Smalley, rural district of Belper, county court district and rural deanery of Ilkeston, archdeaconry and diocese of Derby.
The Nutbrook canal crosses the eastern side of the parish. The ecclesiastical parish was formed 22 July, 1870, from the civil parish of Kirk Hallam.
The church of the Holy Trinity, built in 1851, is an edifice of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a western turret containing 5 tubular bells, fixed in 1890, to replace the 2 previous bells, dated 1851: there are 200 sittings.
An oak lych-gate was erected in 1922, at a cost of £400, in memory of the men connected with this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.
The register dates from the year 1851. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Derby, and held since 1938 by the Rev. Albert Edward Swain, of Emanuel College, Saskatoon.
There is a Methodist chapel.
This is a colliery district.
A charity of £3 yearly, left in 1817, by the Rev. Frank Gisborne, sometime rector of Staveley, is for clothing.
Capt. J. A. E. Drury-Lowe J.P. and the Mapperley Colliery Co. Ltd. are the principal landowners.
Gas and electricity are available.
Water is supplied by the Belper Rural District Council.
The soil is clay; subsoil, clay.
The area is 982 acres of land and inland water; the population in 1931 was 435.
Post Office. Letters through Derby. West Hallam nearest M. 0. & T. office
(For T N see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Swain Rev. Albert Edward (vicar)
Bancroft Arth. clerk to Parish Council
Boam Mary Hannah (Mrs.), shopkpr. Post Office
Harvey Wilfred Louis, farmer, Park Hall farm
Hill Chas. farmer, Mapperley farm
Howitt Rosella (Mrs.), shopkpr
Hoyes & Derbyshire, shopkprs
Lewis Noel, fanner
Mapperley Colliery Co. Ltd. (Stuart Barber, managing director). Ilkeston 137
Old Black Horse P.H. (Jas. Sherwin)
Royal Oak P.H. (Jn. Wm. Winton)
Shaw Thos. Alfd. farmer, Park farm
Thompson Chas. farmer
Udall Arthur, farmer
Wint Harry, shopkeeper
Woolley Geo. J. farmer, Headhouse farm
See Also Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts . . . 1891 (Mapperley)
Register of Electors 1976-77
Disclaimer - Copyright - Is this page correct? Something wrong or missing? Please let me know. Also contributions very welcome