Extracts Taken from Mapperley Parish Magazine for May 1904
An influential meeting of the Churchwardens, Sidemen, and others was held on the 29th April 1904 to discuss the question of the erection and equipment of a room for village purposes. The general idea arrived at was as follows:- The room would be one primarily available for all Church purposes, and also to be used in the winter as a Village Club; as a Reading Room, for games, Smoking Concerts, Dances, etc. It would be used also for the Parochial Tea and Concerts, for the Sunday school, and for all Social purposes.
It would be further arranged that it could be used in the summer months as a Cricket Pavilion, for the use of the members of the Cricket Club.
It will be understood from this general sketch that such a room would be of invaluable assistance to us, and would fully repay the effort and cost necessary for its erection. The meeting received the report of a deputation, consisting of the Vicar and Messrs. J Fletcher and J Beer, (Black Horse landlord) which had an interview with Mr. Mundy. They stated that Mr. Mundy had favourably considered the suggestion, and had the pleasure of reporting that he had most generously promised a donation of 100, in the event of a further sum of 75 being raised. The meeting accepted the proposal with sincere thanks, and it was at once formed into a committee to consider ways and means.
The Vicar was appointed hon. Sec, and Mr. J Fletcher, hon. treasurer. Promises of support were also made, particulars of which will be found below.
The vicar was appointed to collect from outside sources; Mr. W Gamble from Park Hall, Mr. F. Wint from the Brook, and Messrs F Durow and S Hart from the Village. It was also decided to have circulars setting forth the work, and collecting cards printed, which might be sent to any who had friends who might be willing to collect. Mr. Wright, of Park Hall, had been supplied with 20 of these; and we hope others will be willing to follow such a good example.
It is obvious that a self-denying effort must be made by us all, that we may, if possible, raise 100 so that there may be money in hand for fitting out the room with a copper, chairs and tables, a piano, etc. The Garden Fete of which mention was made last month will be in aid of the funds, and so we hope will meet with cordial support. Work for the stall is the principal thing required immediately; some promise of help in this way have been received, and we confidently look for some more.
It should be mentioned that Mr. J G Tate was a member of the deputation, but was unable to be present.
A further meeting of the Committee will be held at an early date to consider plans and specifications, and it is hoped that an early start can be made with the work.
Everybody, please help as much as possible, and as soon as possible.
The following promises have been received up to date; - The Vicarage £5; Messrs Jno. Beer £5, Jno. Fletcher, £5, J G Tate £3; J Wright, £2; W Thornley, £1 1s; T Birkin, £1 1s; W. Gamble, £1 1s, Mapperley Cricket Club £10.
The Cricket Club May 1904
At a meeting of the Committee, a vote of thanks was unanimously passed to Mr. Mundy for his generous promise of help towards building a Room that could be used by the club as a pavilion, and the sum of £10 was voted from the Club Funds towards the expense.
The new ground – also a generous gift of Mr. Mindy Mr. Mundy gave the village a plot of land to the rear of The Institute opposite what is now The Coachways) – is settling down nicely, although perhaps at present the less it is used the better. We are informed that the Mapperley Colliery Ambulance Band may also be in attendance. As no gate money can be charged, we hope spectators will not object to place a small contribution in the box to be passed round, towards the expenses of each match. The club has an excellent list of fixtures, and an endeavour is to be made this season to run two elevens, so that new members are wanted.
It is possible that a visit will be made to the Parish Church by the Ilkeston Ambulance Corps, with their band in attendance. We only mention it because the party may be about 80 strong, and we hope that the regular members of this congregation will not mind giving up their seats on one side for the morning chosen.
Summary of Extracts taken from Mapperley Parish Magazine
A Garden Fete and Sale of Work took place in the Vicarage Garden, on Wednesday, 27th July 1904. It could not be said the weather was “all that could be desired” for it was indeed, rather the reverse. Despite this there were a fair number present. Mrs. Miller Mundy performed the opening ceremony and expressed the regret of Mr. Miller Mundy who was unable to be present but she said he took the greatest interest in Mapperley, especially in cricket. She hoped that the interest would be a great success. Mrs. Mundy was accompanied by Misses Mundy.
The stalls had been erected under cleverly arranged tents, and consisted of the work stall, the refreshments stall, and a fruit and flower stall.
Some excellent music was provided by Mapperley Colliery Ambulance Prize Band.
The Fete was entirely a success, a balance in hand being earned of £23 14s 8d, which is sufficient with the contributions promised and Mr. Mundy’s generous donation, to pay the entire cost of the building
Summary of Extracts taken from Mapperley Parish Magazine
On Wednesday, 23rd November 1904, the opening ceremony of the Church Institute took place, and was performed by Mrs. Miller Mundy, who was accompanied by E Miller Mundy, Esq, D.L.,J.P. A bouquet was presented to Mrs. Miller Mundy by Mrs. Hilda Beer and attached by a white satin riband; a gold key. Mrs. Mundy having unlocked the door, entered the room, followed by the company present.
Mr. Miller Mundy made a speech and referred to the considerable improvements in Mapperley. He mentioned the supply of pure water, the efficient system of sewage disposal. The improved roadways and the practical rebuilding of a great portion of the village. He expressed his willingness to assist the Parish council in making a recreation ground for children. In conclusion he hoped the Institute would be used impartially by Churchmen and Dissenters, and he sincerely trusted that it would prove a lasting convenience to the young men of the village.
After the room had been cleared a Cinderella dance took place.
There was a reminder that at the commencement of the work the aim was to raise £100 to meet a donation of £100 promised by Miller Mundy. It is gratifying to record that the above endeavour has been successful, and that in fact, slightly more in amount of £100 has been raised.
Summary of Extracts taken from Mapperley Parish Magazine
The Mapperley Church Institute was erected in 1904. It was to serve the dual purpose at the time of a Cricket Pavilion and a home of recreation and entertainment for the inhabitants of the Village. It cost about £200 and was built by Mr. J. Duro of Marlpool. It was opened during the incumbency of the Revd. C. Lane, who had been in the parish about a year. It is recorded that he thanked "the Church wardens, Sidesmen, Sunday School Teachers and other Church helpers for their work during the past year (1904), especially in connection with the erection of the Church Institute, completed in Nov., 1904, and furnished at a cost of over £200". It was opened with a gold key by Mrs. E. Miller Mundy.
At the opening—which was on a day of very bad weather—Mr. Miller Mundy made a speech in which he is reported by a local newspaper of the time to have said: "When I was first approached in regard to the Institute, I, agreeing with the remark just made by the Vicar that it was always well to help those who showed an inclination to help themselves, promised a certain donation on the condition that the Committee would collect a certain sum". The sums in question were a £100 in each case.
Since those days the Institute has had a varied career. Originally it fulfilled its purpose admirably, but the war of 1914-1918 saw a change and, since then, other factors have altered beyond recognition the general social background against which the Institute first came into being. The last fifteen years have seen individuals and committees struggling to keep in repair and use a building which was to be a blessing to the village. Sometimes it was closed in order to save paying rates upon it. The use made of it dwindled as more money was earned locally and new interests and inventions (Radio and Television) became available to the parishioners. Instead of being a blessing, the Institute became a burden upon those who were public spirited enough to try to do something to maintain it; people who had decreasing support from the village generally, and who found that it was hired less and less. A final attempt was made during the last five years to revive it. The committee, however, found in the end that it was asking too much of a few church and chapel people to keep such an expensive monument which nobody seemed to want to use. It had become a white elephant. So it was that in 1956 the Trustees decided to sell it, after ascertaining that they could legally do so.
As soon as the knowledge that the Institute was up for sale became known, people who had shown no particular interest in its upkeep or use before, suddenly decided that the Trustees were removing from their Village a boon and a blessing. It is always easy to say why 'nothing' should be done, and to blame those who try to do something constructive. Despite all the observations that have been made certain facts are clear. One is that the building was not being used. The second is that nobody came forward with any concrete proposal backed with enough funds to ensure that it would be used and maintained in the future : no definite financial offer was received by the Trustees or their agent for the Institute by anybody wishing to continue running it as a Village Hall. In the third place, there is a school to meet in, and the letting charges for the school are now low. They are much lower than any hall could possibly be let to-day bearing in mind the cost of upkeep and price of fuel.
Nowadays it should be perfectly clear that the old order has changed. It is no longer possible to rely on a few rich benefactors to supply our social wants, we must pay for them ourselves if we want them. If we don't pay for them then we cannot have them. Moreover it is well to bear in mind that it is not only a question of money; it is also a question of leaders. Not only do we have to pay for what we want, but we ourselves have got to organise our own affairs— there are now no people with spare time on their hands waiting to run our Whist Drives and Dances for us; those people and those times have gone. We have been through a Social Revolution and we have come to what is sometimes called 'the Day of the common man'. If this is so then the sooner the common man realises that everything is up to him, the better for him. There no longer exists the mysterious body of people once referred to as THEY. We can no longer leave it to THEM, or ask why THEY are not doing something about it. It is US now every time. Social Welfare does not mean everyone has got to help me and my Village: if it means anything at all it must mean among other things that everyone has got to be helpful. There is now no Squire and his wife with a golden key.
The Trustees do not like selling the Institute. But they cannot afford to maintain out of their own pocket something which the Village has not been able to maintain either as a monument or as a working proposition. And, finally, we repeat there is the school in which to meet or to dance.
The crockery and furniture at present in the Institute will be kept and made available for the use of parishioners. Applications for its use should be made to the Trustees, who are the Vicar and Church Wardens of the Parish Church.