Image from http://www.genealogysupplies.com
KIRK HALLAM, parish, contains the townships of Kirk Hallam in this Hundred, and Mapperley in the Hundred of Appletree, 1706A. 2R. 25P. of land, mostly a strong soil, and in 1851 had 95 houses and 473 inhabitants, of whom 239 were males and 234 females; rateable value £2607 12s. 1d.
KIRK HALLAM, a township and small picturesque village, 8¾ miles E.N.E. from Derby, and 1 mile S. by W. from Ilkeston station, contains 734A. 0R. 12P. of land, of which 29A. 3R. 11P. are in plantations; rateable value £1055 2s. 1d., and in 1851 had 19 houses and 114 inhabitants, of whom 58 were males and 56 females.
Francis Newdigate, Esq., is lord of the manor, principal owner, and patron of the living.
The Church, All Saints, is a vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £4 9s. 7d., now £313. It has been endowed with £600 Queen Anne’s bounty invested in land. The Rev. Alfred Newdigate, M.A., incumbent. It is a small structure with nave, chancel, low embattled tower, and 3 bells. It was repaired in 1844, and new roofed in 1848. The value of the tithe is £140, with 18A. 3R. of glebe in Chilwell, Nottinghamshire, and 9A. 25P. in Sandiacre, 40s. is also paid by Her Majesty’s receiver of fee farm rents, to the vicar.
The Nutbrook canal passes near the village, and occupies 4A. 3R. 16P. of land, and Lord Belper is a small owner.
Feast, first Sunday after All Hallows day.
The manor of Kirk Hallam, at the Domesday survey, belonged to Ralph de Burun. It was in the Greys of Codnor in the reign of Edward I. The large estate of the Leake family, with the impropriate rectory and advowson of church, which had belonged to Dale Abbey, and granted to Francis Leake, Esq., in 1562, were sold after the death of Nicholas Leake, to the Earl of Scarsdale in 1736, since which they have been in the Newdigate family. In 1762, Fras. Newdigate, Esq., of Nottingham, bequeathed it to his nephew Francis Parker, Esq., who took the name of Newdigate.
MAPPERLEY, a township and small village in the Appletree Hundred, 7½ miles N.E. from Derby, and 2 miles N. W. from Ilkeston station, contains 972A. 2R. 13P. of land, mostly a strong cold clay, 76 houses and 359 inhabitants, of whom 181 were males and 178 females; rateable value £1552 10s. A M. Mundy, Esq., W. D. Lowe, Esq., and Mr. John Fletcher are the principal owners, the former is lord of the manor.
The Nutbrook canal crosses the eastern side of the township, and occupies 20A. 1R. 20P. of land, and 4A. 2R. 4P. belongs to Risley school. Francis Newdigate Esq., is a small owner and impropriator of the great tithe, commuted for £84, and the vicarial for £130 per annum.
A Chapel of Ease dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected in 1851, at a cost of about £750, towards which the patron gave £100 and the bricks, the lord of the manor £50 and the site, W. D. Lowe, Esq., £50 and the stone, and the Rev. Chas. J. Newdigate, £50 and the communion plate. It is a neat edifice in the early English style, with nave, chancel, porch, and turret with 2 bells, has 164 sittings all free.
The Methodists have a small chapel. In 1791, Henry Leaper left £6 a year for the support of a Sunday school, established 1792; but it has not been paid for the last 30 years.
Feast Sunday after November 13th.
The Manor House, an ancient half-timbered building with gables, now in three tenements, near which formerly was a bowling green, taken up about 20 years ago.
Park Hall, a small hamlet half a mile N.W. from the village, near which, in a wood of about 7 acres, is a moated site, on which formerly stood a large mansion, of which nothing remains.
At the Domesday survey, Wm. Peverel held Mapperley for the king. Richard Sandiacre held this manor in 1235, for the service of providing a dog kennel.
In the year 1266, a market on Mondays, and a fair at the festival of the Holy Trinity, were granted to Simon de Arden, in which he was succeeded by Thomas de Luche. Sir Richard Willoughby, the judge, acquired this manor by marriage with the heiress of Morteyne, and had a large park at Mapperley. Afterwards it belonged to the Gilberts of Locko. Sir Anthony Strelley who died seized of Park Hall, in Kirk Hallam, in 1691, which has since passed with Shipley to the Mundy family.
CHARTIES.—Francis Gisborne’s Charity.—(See Bradley).—The annual sum of £5 10s is received by the vicar of this parish, and laid out in the purchase of flannel or coarse cloth and distributed alternately to the poor of Kirk Hallam and Mapperley.
Richardson’s Charity.—(See Smalley.)—This township is one of those entitled to the benefit of this charity, in case there should not be 10 poor colliers in Smalley. At present a quarterly pension of 14s. is paid to two.
Henry Leaper, in 1791, gave £100 upon trust, that in case a Sunday school should be established at Mapperley, within two years after his decease, the yearly proceeds of the said sum should be applied in support of such school; if not established, or discontinued, then it should be considered as part of the residue of his personal estate. The legacy remained with Mr. Cater and his widow, who died 1825. At the time of our investigation, Mr. Edward Fox, of Derby, had undertaken to pay the above-mentioned sum when Mrs. Cater’s property was disposed of, and it was to be placed on good security for the support of a Sunday school, the master of which to receive £6 per annum for instructing poor children.
West Hallam School.—The inhabitants of Mapperley are now entitled to send 11 children to the school, founded by the Rev. John Scargill.
KIRK HALLAM TOWNSHIP