Simonfield to The Brook
Simon Field Remembered
So who was this Simon that we still have all these references to?
Of course to all our Mapperley residents they know that this man was Simon Adern.
But what do we know about him?
His original family home was in Warwickshire.
He was in favour with the, then future King of England. King Edward I who later reigned between (1272 – 1307).
Simon being a “varlet” to the Prince. (A term used for a menial servant of the Royal household or a Knights Page).
So how did this man arrive in Mapperley?
The Ingram family of Nottinghamshire also held lands in Derbyshire including Mapperley. In 1258 a fine was registered in which Robert the son of John Ingram, was granted 21 shillings owing in rents held in Mapperley by William, son of Roberts uncle also named Robert Ingram.
Robert had a son Lawrence who had been in rebellion with his elders and the local Barons. This conflict meant that all the lands owned by Lawrence Ingram of Sneiton in Nottinghamshire were confiscated and given to Simon Adern. This included the Park Hall estate.
This move was despised by the local Gentry. Simon being looked upon as a Rascal and a Rogue. A man they thought had risen above his station.
Still in favour with his Royal Connections.
In 1267 Simon was granted the Royal Charter.
The Mapperley Charter
Granted by King Henry III on 28th May 1267 to Simon Adern. A Charter allowing him to hold a Market Every Monday at his Manor.
The name from the charter was also carried on in later years in 1850 by naming the Church of Mapperley. “Holy Trinity” as we know it today.
(Trinity Sunday falls in May or June. Eight weeks after Easter Day. The earliest possible date being May 17th. The Last possible date June 20th).
The Charter granted him the right to Free Warren on all his manor lands.
Free Warren granted by Royal Licence gave him the sole right to hunt the Beasts on His Lands.
Hare, Rabbit, Badger, Fox, Polecat, Pine Martin and Pheasant.
Lords of the Manor were privileged with keeping the peace.
Granting them to place criminals in stocks or on the pillary. Or hang them on their gallows. A common practice, to deter others in the community who wished to continue a life of crime. Simon had these built in his Park Hall Grounds.
The neighbouring West Hallam Gallows stood at the crossroads opposite, (What is now Millhouse Garage) leading into the Park Hall Lane.
Probably to the annoyance of Simon.
In 1269, Ralph de Cromwell (Lord of the Manor of West Hallam). Objecting to Simons conduct, raised a band of warriors. They raided Simon’s Manor and pulled down the Stocks, Pillory and Gallows.
In 1276 Simon and his wife Agnes sold the Mapperley Lordship for £200 to Thomas de Luthe.
In that same year 1276 the Hundred Rolls Census states that “Simon Adern made a Warren at Mapperley and Thomas de Luthe now holds the same vill with warren, by what right is unknown. And also that Mapperley, among other places, had a gallows, and Assize for bread and Ale, but they know not by what authority.
The first indication of a licenced premises in Mapperley and evidence that the gallows had been restored.
The site of the Simon’s Manor House was excavated by the Ilkeston and District History Society in 1967/1968.
The village celebrated the 700th Anniversary of the Charter in 1967. With Bernard Mellor the local joiner and under-taker making a replica set of stocks which were erected across from the church Lych Gate on May 27th 1967.
The Replica Stocks built to represent the raid. Being a warning to anyone from West Hallam entering the village, today.
Also to show the importance that the coal mining industry had been to the community the N.C.B. cut the last lump of coal from the Coppice Colliery on Friday 26th August 1966 and presented it to the village for their Charter celebrations. Weighing 1ton – 19cwt – 4stone.
Early Coal Mining Evidence
The first sign of coal mining in Simonfield is from documents dated 1379 and 1398.
Showing that pits were leased by a mining consortium by Ralph Cromwell of West Hallam.
The family that had originally carried out the raid on Simon’s home.
The importance of these documents are the words Hallam Wood and Simonfield.
Hallam Wood being situated on land now own on Bill Boams farm today. Alongside Hallam Brook.
The Brook which divides West Hallam Parish from Mapperley.
A reminder of these days when this area was covered in trees is still with the name of Bill’s Farm. (Coppice Farm).