Bill and Kathleen Ogden
Taken From The Parish Magazine Of July 2005
Although they have only lived in Mapperley Village for 36 years, Kathleen's family have lived there for about 200 years. About a year ago, they moved from "1 The Village" - an old cottage built in 1763, to a modern bungalow, which they are finding more convenient.
Both pairs of Kathleen's grandparents lived in Mapperley. Her maternal grandfather was a gardener at Blenheim Palace, and came to Mapperley to work as gardener for Squire Miller-Mundy. As a child her mother lived in what is now The Lodge House. (Below Mapperley School)
Kathleen was born and brought up in Ilkeston, attending local schools. At the age of 14 she went to study at a business college and her first job was in the Town Clerk's Department in Ilkeston Town Hall. This was followed by two years working in a Nottingham solicitor's office, after which she returned to Ilkeston to work in the Education Office.
Bill's family also lived in Ilkeston.
Following their marriage in June 1957 they went to live in Dewsbury, Yorkshire, where Bill's father had started a coal haulage business. After some years, Bill's father had a heart attack, and so Bill continued the business alone. Later, Kathleen's father died, and so they came back to live in Ilkeston, and then moved back to Mapperley. Their son Philip was born in Yorkshire, and daughter Julia was born in Ilkeston. Philip lives in Derby, and there is one grandson, Adam, now aged 11 and very well, though for many years he suffered with leukaemia.
Bill has had several jobs since returning to this area. He worked at Stanton, then Celanese, and finally worked for Tathill Pumps until his retirement.
Kathleen's father, J William (Bill) Isam, was a very good singer, and sang in a male voice quartet which broadcast on the "wireless". He sang at the re-opening of Mapperley Methodist Church in 1936, and became conductor of the Ilkeston Co-op Male Voice Choir.
Both Bill and Kathleen have taken a great interest in the history of Mapperley - Shipley Hall was destroyed in the 1940's when the National Coal Board mined underneath and it became the victim of subsidence. A similar fate befell the old Holy Trinity Church at Mapperley. It was built in 1851, but lasted less than 100 years. The new Holy Trinity Church has been built in almost the same place.
The old vicarage was sold at about the same time, and since then the West Hallam Rector has been responsible for the church and its services. The old Church Institute, which served as the Village Hall, has been converted into a bungalow.
Fortunately the Village School continues to thrive. During the 1970's Kathleen became a school "dinner lady". At that time there were only 19 pupils, of whom only 5 were girls.
A great blow to the village was the sudden closure of the shop and post office, which was very much a social centre of village life. At one time Mapperley Village boasted 4 shops.
However, the village remains a nice, warm and friendly place in which to live and Bill, Kathleen and Julia are very happy to be living there.