West Hallam Quiz
by Brenda Hunt
As shown in the West Hallam & Mapperley Churches Magazines April and May 1978
- Where was West Hallam windmill? When was it built and when was it demolished?
- What commemorates Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee?
- Where was the original West Hallam Manor built?
- Where was the West Hallam Spa?
- Where was Bain Croft, also known as Bainey Fields?
- What is White City?
- Where did the gallows stand?
- Which cottages are known as Bone Cottages, and why?
- Why is the White Rose Cricket Club so named?
- Who was the Rector of West Hallam from 1636-1668 and why is he noted in the village to this day?
- What is the connection between West Hallam and Tattershall Castle in Lincolnshire?
- What connection is there between George Elliot and West Hallam?
- Where was the Little Theatre in West Hallam?
- Where can a quilled and chained hedgehog be seen?
- What was the name of West Hallam in 1086?
- Where was ‘Nibby Pit’ and why was it so called?
- Which local charities make up the United Charities?
- At the rear of Mill House garage. It was built in 1593 (the date was formed by the heads of nails driven into the oak to the left of the entrance) and demolished in 1916.
- The lime trees of Cock Orchard, the bridleroad from Hall Court and Orchard Close to Cat and Fiddle Lane, were paid for by public subscription to commemorate the years of Queen Victoria’s reign and the quarter chimes were added to the church clock on the completion of 60 years of her reign.
- The Manor house, built by the Cromwell family stood in the valley south of the church. The wood known locally as Foxhole’s Plantation marks the area and the water filled moat may still be seen there.
- The Spa stood near the original manor house and was once famous for its health giving waters which were reputed to be similar to the waters of Harrogate. The Spa disappeared when coal mining was carried out beneath that area earlier in the century.
- Barn Croft was the name of the field where Hallam Way is now built (At the Beech Lane end) and the footpath through this field that leads to High Lane West was known as Barney Fields footpath.
- White City was the name given to the houses built eastwards from High Lane East post office as they were all covered with white stucco when first erected.
- The gallows stood at West Hallam crossroads. (The junction of Station Road, Belper Road, High Lane West and Park Hall Lane)
- Bone cottages (No’s 1 and 3 Belper Road) were originally erected on the site of a graveyard where gallows victims and suicides were buried. A bone mill is also reputed to have stood on this spot.
- The name white rose came from the white roses that grew on the hedgerows around the original cricket pitch down Cinder Lane.
- John Scargill, the founder of the free school of West Hallam.
- Ralph de Cromwell, lord of the manor at West Hallam, built Tattershall castle.
- George Elliott’s father, Robert Evans was West Hallam agent for Francis Newdigate.
- The Rook family converted their coach house into the Little Theatre. It stood at the village end of St Wilfrid’s Road, next to the Institute.
- The hedgehog may be seen on the Powtrell tomb in the parish church. It was the crest of the Powtrell family.
- Halun or Halum.
- Stanley colliery was called Nibble ‘em or Nibby Pit because the owners cut the miners pay packets down and so nibbled at their wages.
- Poor lands or Stansfields charity, Thompsons Charity, Hicklings charity, Hodges charity. Holbrooks charity and Gisbournes charity.
Brenda J Hunt
Disclaimer - Copyright - Is this page correct? Something wrong or missing? Please let me know. Also contributions very welcome