Following the success of West Hallam Scout Group, Mrs. Annie Rook of West Hallam Hall and Mrs A Roe, headmistress of the village Girls school decided that the local girls should have the opportunity to learn new life skills. So in 1918, a Guide Group was formed; the girls met in the village school once a fortnight. Throughout the winter months they were taught needlework, dress making, cooking and other domestic duties. Spring and summer months brought the opportunity for Outdoor activities which included organised nature walks, teaching the girls to identify wild flowers, tree and bird species and enjoy the delights of the countryside. Another favourite activity was learning to swim at the nearby Mapperley Colliery Swimming Baths. Local fund raising activities were always supported, including the Church Bell Fund, and helping at the Annual village show. With the rapid success of this well organised group of 30-40 young ladies, they became known as the Ilkeston and West Hallam Division. The Temporary Division Commissioner, Miss Nora Wright was working with the District Commissioner Mrs. Crompton. The Girls were delighted to be invited to attend the Derby Jamboree in 1920 and see Lady Baden Powell in her capacity has Chief Guide. This was the first time that she had visited Derby, saying there were now over 230,000 Girl Guides throughout the World; she congratulated all the local groups for all their excellent work they had accomplished. Mrs. Fitzherbert Wright (formerly of West Hallam Hall), who presided at this event, was delighted to see the West Hallam girls. The Emblem for all the Derbyshire Guides is the Florence Nightingale Lamp.