Newspaper extracts 1920
Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal - Friday 30 July 1920
Opening of a Memorial Hall. - On Saturday afternoon. Mr. W. H. Quarrell (chairman the Mapperley Colliery Co.) formally opened the memorial hall at West Hallam. The directors of the Mapperley Colliery Company have presented the ground on which the memorial hall stands, about two acres in area, and have laid out a large portion as tennis courts and a howling green. The workmen and officials of the company have erected and furnished the building at a cost of £2,000.
Memorial Service. - On Sunday afternoon a largely attended memorial drumhead service was held at West Hallam In a field near the Memorial Hall, organised the Discharged Soldiers' and Sailors’ Association. A temporary cenotaph had been erected, around which were placed floral tributes from the relatives of the fallen. The band of the Sth Battalion Sherwood Foresters was present with a firing party. After an address by the Rev. E. F. Scofield (vicar of Stanley) three volleys were fired, followed the Last Post."
Memorial Hall Tennis Club C1922
The hall was totally refurbished in 1977 the year of the Queens Silver Jubilee. Grants were available for community halls throughout the country. A grant was awarded and on completion the hall was re-named the Silver Jubilee Club. The photographs shows the Tennis Club members and behind the group can be seen the Memorial to the 66 fallen men. The new houses built on the site are now called Jubilee Court.
Fancy Dress Party at the Memorial Hall/ Social Club c1950
Thanks to Roger Wood for the map and Brenda Parker for the photographs.