Mapperley Village

Home - The Village Today - History - Maps - Memories - Newspapers - Picture Gallery - World Wars
Contents Contents - Comments - Contact Me - Links - Nearby Villages - Notice Board - Search - What's New? New

Drop-Down Navigation Menu


News Papers Derbyshire Life Parish Magazine

Newspapers - 1940s - Evacuees Page 6

Evacuees in Mapperley World War 2

Beryl Osborne (Nee Perry) Evacuated from Southend to Mapperley in June 1940

Thanks to Pauline Czypak of Mapperley I was able to contact Beryl recently and ask her what she remembers of her time in Mapperley.

Beryl vividly remembers being told that she would be leaving home to live with another family, she was 10 years old.

Fortunately her sister Joyce who was a couple of years older than Beryl accompanied her.

Their father was in the fire service and mum stayed at home. Both parents were keen to protect the children and thought they would be safer away from Southend.

They all had to meet at their school where she saw 2 or 3 buses. Then by bus to the train station in London. There she recalls the station being full of children carrying their little bags containing their worldly goods. The children were terrified.

They travelled by train to Derby Station feeling very frightened and apprehensive. On arrival at Derby they were transferred on to a bus and brought to Mapperley.  They had never heard of Derbyshire never mind Mapperley.

On arrival they were allocated to families. Beryl and Joyce were given to Mr George Bedford and his wife Mrs Phoebe Bedford (grandparents of Pauline Czypak mentioned above).

Once she knew who she was staying with she started to settle a little. It took a couple of weeks but both she and Joyce began to settle. They were kept inside for a while until space was made at the local school for them.

She went on to call her carers auntie and uncle and eventually felt quite happy with them.  They were cared for and looked after very well. Beryl does remember the food being ‘different’ to what they would eat at home. I suspect this would be due to the fact that Mr Bedford grew all his own vegetables and would probably have had access to different foods being surrounded by farms.

Beryl has a memory of once being very frightened by Uncle George. It was one day when he arrived home from a shift at the local pit and he was black from head to foot!  She got used to this though and as there were no pit baths then the men would return from their shift and have a bath in the tin bath which would be placed in the kitchen or living room in front of the fire.  During this bath time Beryl would have to play outside or go next door to ‘Grandmas’

Grandma was Rosella (Rose) Howitt who ran the shop which sold sweets and groceries. Beryl found the access to a sweet shop helped her settle in very well!

A year after they arrived they were told quite suddenly that all the evacuees would be leaving and going to new families. Beryl and Joyce were very sad about this. They were taken to a family in Heanor but never settled and both felt very unhappy there. Mr and Mrs Bedford even visited them in Heanor. Eventually their mother came to collect them and take them home as they were so unhappy.

Beryl was to return to Mapperley many years later and meet George and Phoebe’s daughter Nora Czypak. They kept in touch for many many years.

My sincere thanks to Beryl for her time and her memories.

Elaine Sarson

October 2012 

Audrey Bowers, Essex

Today, October 17th, 2012, I spoke to Audrey as I had been given her name as a Mapperley evacuee.

She is a lovely lady and we had a very interesting conversation. 

Audrey was about 11 years old when she was sent to Mapperley as an evacuee during World War ll.

She remembers being very concerned as to where she was going. Her sister, Muriel, who was a little older than her, went to Mansfield. I asked why they hadn't been kept together and she explained that Muriel was very good at art and the school in Mansfield would have been better for her.

Audrey remembers arriving in Mapperley and standing with the other evacuees waiting to be told of their new home. The children were asked if someone would like to volunteer to go with another girl to live at The Vicarage. She recalls everyone looking at each other but decided to put her hand up.

She went to the Vicarage with Rosemary Jones and Bob Overton. At that time Rev Swain lived there. It was, and still is, a very large house, (not now a vicarage) with numerous rooms although Audrey says they slept downstairs. There were lots of rooms downstairs though.

They went to church very regularly of course but Audrey was used to that as that is what they did when she was at home.

The large house was perfect for children to play in and there was a very wide staircase that went up one side of the house and came down the other. A memory she has of that time was of Bob following them up the stairs, grabbing their legs in order to make them fall onto the stairs and then pulling them both down again with their legs, bump, bump all the way to the bottom. The stairs were perfect for this prank!

After leaving Mapperley Audrey went to a family in Quorndon. She recalls returning home and opening the door but just standing on the doormat wondering if she should enter or not. She felt like a stranger. Her sister returned home about the same time and she had to get to know Muriel all over again too.

All was well though.

My sincere thanks to Audrey for her memories.

Elaine Sarson 2012

The following is from a regular visitor to my website who lives in Yorkshire

I am really interested in the evacuee subject as I was about eight when a couple of bus loads of children came to our village and congregated outside of our school. Even at that early age I have never forgotten the sadness and tears in some of their eyes as their names were shouted out and they were led off to different families.

I have been told that the evacuees started coming to our village as early as 1940 and as we used to have a station on the main LNER London-Edinburgh rail line many came by train and were met at the village station and allocated to different families I don't know how many came but told between two and three hundred. It could have been more

The majority of the children came from Shoreham nr Brighton and we all soon made friends and they all mixed with chidren of their own ages. I am ashamed to say ,sadly, as we got older we learnt that a few of them were used as skivvies and not treated too well, even one of their own teachers was brutal with them if they were reported to him for bad behaviour. The majority were really treated well in their new homes. At our old school there were reunions up to a few years ago, some came back to see us and thank the families who had taken them in. We also learnt that some of those evacuees never ever reached home after the war and we always wondered why but the truth started to emerge in the last couple of years that lots of them had been sent to Australia and told that their families had died in the blitz, in lots of cases it was untrue. They were sad dark days and really heartbreaking for those young evacuees , but for lots of them, happiness prevailed in the end. Elaine ,you have picked a very good subject . .Even now after all of those years it makes me sad to think about it as tears flowed down some of their faces.

If anyone has any information on evacuees in Mapperley I would love to hear from you Mail

Go-To 1950s Evac5

Disclaimer - Copyright - Is this page correct?   Something wrong or missing?   Please let me know.   Also contributions very welcome