It was decided that a memorial be placed in the church to remember Rev Pleming who was Vicar of Mapperley for many years. It was decided to try and raise funds for electric lighting in the church as the gas lighting in the church is in poor condition. The proposal was to install lighting with plain shades in the chancel and naïve, with one light in the vestry and porch. £50 was required for the installation which the Church Council were extremely pleased with. The contractor being Mr W Southern of Ilkeston. Mr R Martin kindly agreed to be treasurer for the fund.
Items Needed For The Church
The Vicar and Church Wardens have long been anxious about the Bell Turret at the West End of the church roof. It was inspected and the chimney stack inside it found to be in a dangerous condition and must be demolished and rebuilt.
Binding Of Magazines
Messrs Harpur & Sons (Derby) Limited Friar Gate Derby are arranging for the binding of the magazine from 1949 to December 1953.
Mr Lodge donated material for the draught proof curtain for the vestry and Mrs Hobson made it up. It is hoped less cold air will find its way into that end of the church and less into the small of Mr Marsden’s back, who has been obliged to pump the organ with his back to the door.
Mr & Mrs E Beardsley have resigned from their positions as verger and church organist respectively after three years service, The new verger will be Mr G Durow of The Limes, Mapperley and the new organist Mr Desmond Burton of West Hallam.
Mr Peter B Emmerson of Woodside Cottage Mapperley will be ordained on Trinity Sunday, June 13th and made a Deacon. He will be ordained by the Bishop of Liverpool but he is going to begin his ministry in the Diocese of the Arctic. The Diocese of the Arctic covers the northern parts of Canada from the Yukon to Baffin’s Land and Ungava. He sails from England on June 25th.
Magazines (written in 1954 by Rev G C Spencer)
Parishioners will be interested to learn that all available magazines of this parish are now permanently bound. The Parish Magazine of West Hallam seems to have been issued first in January 1860, by the Revd C J Newdigate and continued until December 1863, when it appears to have lapsed. It was revived by the Revd C W Birley in January 1901, and has continued in different forms from then until now – sometimes being reduced to a mere leaflet and on one occasion appearing quarterly. All these are now bound in seven volumes and may be seen and referred to at the Rectory, but I am afraid I cannot permit any volume to be taken home.
2014 Note - These bound volumes are now at the Derbyshire Record Office New Street Matlock.
Electric lighting update – we are very grateful to Mr Lodge who is running a raffle for the electric light fund and who has given the magnificent prize of a pair of sheets, a pair of pillowcases and a pair of towels. The cost of the lighting be be approx £53 towards which we have at the moment £11
We should be grateful to Mr G Durow and a band of willing helpers who have set to work on the grass of the churchyard. This is an annual problem which can only be solved like it is this year by volunteers, or by paying a considerable sum for the work to be done. Not only are the volunteers improving the appearance of their church, but are also saving the parishioners some money.
Sunday School Outing
The outing was by bus to Tideswell and Buxton, visiting Tideswell Church and having tea in Buxton. Mr Bevan and Mr Pearson made all the arrangements.
A report was shown on the condition of the fabric of Mapperley Church which shows that everything is badly worn and many areas unsafe.
An update on the lighting shows Mr Lodge raised £14. 11s. 6d from the raffle he organised bringing the fund up to £30
A Church Restoration Fund has been set up and house to house collections made in Mapperley and West Hallam. There will not be a collection made in Mapperley Colliery because the Colliery Consultative Committee say that in view of the small proportion of Mapperley Colliery workers who live in Mapperley, the object of the collection was not of sufficient general interest to warrant a collection being made.
The Church in the Arctic
The Rev. Peter Emmerson is now in Coppermine administering to the Eskimo people of the frozen north of Canada. He had a safe journey there but is finding the many dialects difficult. At the moment they only have Western Eskimo versions of S. Mark, S Luke, S. John and the Acts of the Aposles. A photograph of Mr Emmerson and his fiancé appeared in a recent issue of The Woman magazine with an article of their work and proposed marriage in the Arctic.
Regards, Grace I.Emmerson (Dr.)
A Thesis Submitted to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research, McGill University
In Partial Fulfilment of the Requirements for the Degree, Master of Science
by Michael Marsden
July 3rd, 1956
There are two missions in Coppermine, the Oblate Mission of Our Lady of Light and the Anglican Mission of St. Andrew.
There has been an Anglican mission station in Coppermine since 1928. This, the Mission of St. Andrew, is one of fifteen active missions included in the Diocese of the Arctic which is administered from Toronto.
The Mission is at present responsible for an area which includes the following principal areas of Eskimo settlement, permanent or periodic.
The main groupings can be located at Minto Inlet, Holman Island, Rymer Point, Read Island, Coppermine, Bathurst Inlet and Cambridge Bay. The total number of Eskimos approximates 900, but Cambridge Bay will not long be included in the parish of the present missionary since the Rev. Peter Emerson is to reopen in 1955 the Anglican Mission closed there in 1943. He will then include in his parish the natives of Bathurst Inlet; and the Coppermine Mission will be left with the areas outlined above. The Eskimo served by the Coppermine Mission will then number between four and five hundred. Bathurst and Cambridge Bay were included in the charge of Canon Webster when the war prevented funds from abroad maintaining the Cambridge Bay Mission in 1943.
The Mission came to Coppermine in 1928 when Canon Webster moved it from Bernard Harbour where it had been established by the Rev. Girling in 1916, when he met there the Canadian Arctic Expedition and took over their building when they left. An influenza epidemic in 1928 led to the boycotting of Bernard Harbour by the frightened natives which prompted the move to Coppermine, an area which was known to have been a gathering area of Eskimo for many years.
The Mission has two buildings, a dwelling and the church proper. The dwelling once included the chapel and the bell tower. The present church was built in 1950 and finally finished in 1951. Until that time
the chapel in the mission house was used for all services except the large Easter services when a large tent-roofed "igloo" was used capable of holding fifty or more parsons. Services at the outlying area s visited are invariably held in igloos: either the largest in the encampment, or one especially built for the visit by the congregation. The present church seats 150, has coal stove heating and a harmonium. It was built from materiel brought in by boat and the building labour was one-half paid, one half voluntary.
The present missionary came to Coppermine in 1950 and took over from Canon Webster in 1952. In order to look after his area he adopts the following travel system. Travelling by sledge and dog team he visits Read Island some time in the New Year. Later he undertakes his major winter journey by land again and on to Holman Island. Then there is a final journey in spring to Cambridge Bay and Bathurst. This last is timed to catch the maximum number of people actually in the settlement as the Bathurst Eskimo are primarily caribou hunters and hence scattered nomads except for the spring period of rest and outfitting before the caribou come north once more. On these sledge journeys every camp encountered is visited for
at least one day. In this manner nearly every Eskimo in the mission's area is encountered at least once in the year. Christmas, Easter and the summer are spent in Coppermine itself. Coppermine in summer is an area of congregation because of the fishing.
Until 1948 the Mission also served as the only nursing station, elementary clinical work being carried out by Canon Webster. The Rev. Sperry is still the official local dentist and is also the Ranger Lieutenant assembling a platoon of reliable Eskimo guides.
The most urgent matter since the last magazine has been the damage suffered by the eastern gable of the church chancel. Early in the morning of Monday, July 18th it was struck by lightening during a violent storm and considerable damage was caused. The cross and apex stone of the gable were split in half, and two ridge tiles were dislodged. Other stones were broken and moved, and a large hole torn in the roof. Tiles were scattered in all directions. The damage was temporarily protected from the weather and repairs are in hand. The church is now fully insured against such disasters, and it would seem that the top of the eastern wall has to be taken down for a distance of several feet and rebuilt.
Church Restoration Fund. The result of the prolonged and exhaustive examinations and enquiries has established beyond doubt that no successful claim could possibly be brought against the Coal Board for the damage to the parish church. Nevertheless, an offer of an ex gratia payment of ú52. 10s 0d was obtained from the Board. Parish Register Holy Matrimony September 17th Kenneth Leslie Birkin and Marian Davis Confirmations Wednesday December 14th at St Mary's Church Ilkeston Peter David Johnson David Owen Martin Jennifer Martin